(Italian: “Majesty”),double-sided altarpieces executed for
the cathedral of Siena by the Italian painter Duccio.
Thefirst version (1302), originally in the Palazzo Pubblico
in Siena, is now lost. The second version (Oct. 9, 1308–June
9, 1311),painted for the cathedral of Siena and one of the
largest altarpieces of its time, consisted of a wide frontal
panel with the Virgin and Child adored by the patrons of
Siena and surrounded by saints and angels. Beneath was a
predella with seven scenes from the childhood of Christ;
above were pinnacles with scenes from the life of the
Virgin; and on the back were scenes from the life of Christ.
The main panel and the bulk of the narrative scenes are now
in the Museo dell'Opera Metropolitana, Piazza del Duomo,
Siena, but isolated panels from the altarpiece have found
their way to the National Gallery, London; the Frick
Collection, New York City; and the National Gallery of Art,