Francesco Maria Schiaffino (1688 – January 3, 1763) was an
Italian sculptor of the Rococo or late-Baroque, mainly
active in his native city of Genoa.
Born into a family of sculptors,
including his older brother Bernardo Schiaffino. In 1721–24,
he apprenticed in the Roman studio of Camillo Rusconi.
Returning to Genoa, he executed such works as St Dominic for
the Teatro Carlo Felice, and Pluto and Proserpine sculpted
for the Palazzo Reale. In 1738 he designed the theatrical
funeral monument to Caterina Fieschi Adorno for the church
of Santissima Annunziata di Portoria, Genoa. In 1739, he
also designed wax models of eight apostles and four doctors
of the church (modelled after the apostle statues in the
niches of San Giovanni in Laterano by Rusconi and others;
these were used by Diego Francesco Carlone, to execute in
stucco for the church of Santa Maria Assunta in Carignano.
He had statues sent to the towns of Sestri, Camogli, and
Ercole Lelli (1702–1766) was an Italian painter of the
late-Baroque, active mainly in Northern Italy, including his
native city of Bologna, as well as Padua and Piacenza.
He was a pupil of Giovanni Pietro
Zanotti. He excelled in the study of the anatomy of the
human body as well as painting; and helped prepare artistic
anatomical wax displays at the Bolognese University. A few
pictures are extant, including a Virgin and child with St.
Anthony of Padua and St. Clara for the church of Sant'
Andrea delle Scuole at Bologna; and a St. Fidèle for the
church of the Cappuccini at Piacenza. He was an eminent
teacher of design, and became director of the Academy at
Bologna, the city where he died. He has also left some
engravings, such as Hagar and Islimael.
Anatomical wax statues
Adam and Eve 1742-51
Museum of the
Department of Human Anatomy, Bologna University.
These two anatomicai wax statues were created specifically for teaching
They were typical of the age of the Encyclopedie,
published in 1751-76.
Please note: site admin does not answer any questions. This is our readers discussion only.