Giacomo Serpotta, (born March 10, 1656, Palermo
[Sicily]—died Feb. 27, 1732, Palermo), the outstanding
member of a family of Sicilian sculptors and stucco workers.
His methods for creating the illusion of perspective and his
asymmetrical arrangements of two or more independent
decorations proved highly influential to German artists of
the Rococo period.
In Palermo, Giacomo decorated the
oratories of San Lorenzo (1690/98–1706),
(1668–1718), and Rosario di San Domenico (1710–17), as well
as the Palermo hospital chapel, the Archbishop’s Palace in
Santa Chiara, and the Badia Nuova at Alcomo. His statues in
San Francesco d’Assisi (1723) appear to be falling from air
and not attached to the wall, even though all the figures,
cupids, draperies, and garlands are on the same plane as the
wall. He is credited with raising Sicilian stuccowork from a
craft to an art.